Dementia Care: Redefined
Bright Moments is a program of care specifically designed for patients with end-stage dementia (ESD). It is based on the belief that more can be done for and with dementia & Alzheimer’s patients to generate positive outcomes. Knowing that family members and caregivers often struggle with the challenges of late-stage dementia, we created Bright Moments – an innovative approach designed to support patients, family, staff, and physicians. Bright Moments provides increased quality care with specialized interventions that comfort and support.
The Bright Moments program is an innovative & non-pharmacological approach supported by research, which shows these types of therapy methods to be more beneficial than traditional methods of medication interventions.
Please read a research study here, reviewing over 19,000 studies.
We believe that more can be done to give Light to Life for those struggling with dementia.
We have the honor to provide additional methods of individualized care, comfort and support for the patient, their families, caregivers and loved ones through this Bristol Hospice program.
Bright Moments – Points of Light Kit:
- Music Device and Headphones — Loaded with patient specific music favorites.
- Weighted Blanket — Clinical studies have shown that this produces comfort when managing agitated or unsettled behavior. Simulates the feeling of a hug.
- Chart A Life — to capture special moments and preserve patient memories.
- Snoozelin lamp with Sensory Care Kit
- Memory-enhancing aroma therapies
- Therapeutic Companion Bear
- Specialized Utensils
- Specialized Care Products
Our Bright Moments team joins with other caregivers to plan and implement a comfortable and calming experience for patients, families and caregivers. We are known as “The Place of the Bridge”, and it is our privilege to walk this bridge in life with you, “Embracing a Reverence for Life”.
Sweet Dreams is based upon the belief that compassionate presence and provision of a care plan devoted to end of day sleep rituals and comfort can result in enhanced patient satisfaction. The Sweet Dreams service is provided in the hours leading up to bed time.
Components of Sweet Dreams
- Learning from the patient/family the history of any evening or bedtime rituals.
- Learning and assessing the patient’s likes, dislikes, and wishes regarding creation of a soothing and comfortable sleep environment.
- Creation of a care plan that meets the needs of the patient with the goal of creating a soothing environment to enhance comfort and sleep.
- Delivering the components of the individualized care plan in the patient’s chosen home setting.
Through compassionate presence, creation of a soothing and nurturing environment the hospice can deliver an individualized care plan that facilitates sleep and comfort at the end of the day.
Criteria for Receiving Sweet Dream Services
Patient/Family requests the service and demonstrates willingness to participate in the development of the Sweet Dreams care plan.
Services Provided under Sweet Dreams Care:
- Hand and Foot gentle touch techniques
- PM Care (face wash, foot soak, nail care, mouth care, etc.)
- Sound and/or music therapy
- Taste therapy
- Gentle spa approach, (Low lights, spa music, fountains, soft words, slow approach)
The Sweet Dreams program is an innovative & non-pharmacological approach supported by research, which shows these types of therapy methods to be more beneficial than traditional methods of medication interventions. Please read a research study here, reviewing over 19,000 studies.
“As you know, Mom passed today, so we are now processing this big change in our lives. We signed on with Bristol Hospice Monday… she died five days later. In the interim, we as a family were enfolded into the arms of your hospice program and the care provided by [the facility]. We could not have felt more taken care of. In particular, I want to say that Sweet Dreams was an incredible experience. I sat with your Sweet Dreams CNA three times while she worked with Mom. She showed me how she cared for Mom’s skin, how she spoke to her, how she applied creams. Her manner was personal and compassionate, but she also had a lovely sense of humor and her self-confidence reassured me and a friend who was also there one evening. To send someone off to sleep with such scents sounds and touch is a real gift. Thank you.“ – Family Member